Workshop on EU Copyright Law for Media Entrepreneurs
DATE: June 3-5, 2019
Venue: Central European University (CEU), Budapest, Hungary
In light of the new reform of copyright rules in the EU, the workshop aims to provide a structured overview of EU copyright law and its application. In day 1, the participants will learn the basics of this evolving legal field. In the remaining days, the sessions will be split equally between the study of EU rules, in the morning, and of case studies, in the afternoon. In particular, the focus will be set, in day 2, on how EU law affects the protection of one’s own original content and, in day 3, on what lies outside the copyright scope and how could be exploited in the media business.
What will participants learn?
During the workshop, the participants will
- Acquire a full understanding of the regulatory framework concerning copyright in the EU, essential to meet informed decisions in the media business;
- Be equipped with valuable knowledge to follow the reform and implementation processes of EU copyright rules in the various Member States;
- Receive up-to-date information about the decisions of the Court of Justice of the European Union, which shape the debate on what falls/does not fall under copyright protection, at both European and national levels;
- Enjoy the opportunity to raise questions and collect clarifications on EU copyright rules from an expert.
Who should apply?
Media entrepreneurs of both analog and digital media industries. No prior legal knowledge is required.
How to apply?
If you are interested in applying, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Put EU Copyright Law Workshop + your name in the subject line.
- Provide a (short) CV
Deadline for applications: May 15, 2019
Tuition fee: 400 EUR
The fee does not include accommodation, travel and meals.
In order to maximize the output and opportunities, the course will have a maximum of 20-25 participants.
Giulia Priora graduated in Law both in Italy and Germany, she is IP Counsel and Legal Advisor and currently enrolled as SJD Candidate in International Business Law at CEU Legal Studies.
- MODULE 1 Introduction on EU copyright regulation: Historical bits and structure of the harmonization process, key concepts and terminology, main actors, scope and features of the protection.
- MODULE 2 Introduction on EU copyright litigation: Overview of the competences and possible proceedings before national and EU Courts.
- MODULE 3 The protection of original works under EU copyright law: Moral and economic rights, additional suis generis rights, licensing schemes and non-disclosure agreements.
- MODULE 4 Case studies: The right of communication to the public.
- MODULE 5 Exceptions and limitations under EU copyright law: Scope and interpretations of the exceptions and limitations to copyrights, the notion of public domain.
- MODULE 6 Case studies: The informational purpose and other “copyright grey zones”.
For more information about the workshop please contact email@example.com